Sunday, June 21, 2009

Hay un Pibe que la Rompe



November 24, 2008
When I was eight or nine I had a poster of Fra Filippo Lippi’s Madonna and Child with Two Angels on my wall. After visiting Florence I decided to copy it. I drew the outlines of the face with great care and ever so subtly coloured it in with my Caran D’Ache pencils. I decided to give this gift to my headmaster at St Joseph’s School in London. A few years later in 1983 I drew Argentina’s first democratic president following the military junta, Raúl Alfonsín, who was looking up with a pleased smile toward the skies; after that, I copied a magazine image of Pope John Paul II when he visited Argentina. He was quietly meditating with a cross held tightly against his forehead. Then I drew Diego Maradona. I posted each of these drawings in brown envelopes and waited to hear back. I never did.

****************************************************************************************************************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment